Before diving head first within the lifeguard certification path, let’s take a examine the job description of a lifeguard and review a few of the different variations that may be out there that you should understand.
The specific job description of lifeguarding varies with regards to the environment that is being observed, but the normal description can be explained as: assuring the safety of others that are occupying an area of water and the area directly surrounding or close to said region.
These types of areas could be a pool area, water park locations and stations or the shore alongside an ocean or any other body of water like a bay, or lake. The concern is to ensure that the people of which the lifeguard is responsible for will not enter into any damaging scenarios which might be averted, of course.
Basic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keeps continuous monitoring of people in the facility; acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons in the eventuality of emergency
- Provides emergency care and treatment as needed up until the arrival of emergency medical services
- Presents professional appearance and attitude at all times, and keeps a high standard of customer satisfaction
- Performs a number of maintenance obligations as directed to maintain a clean and secure facility
- Prepares and maintains effective activity reports
- Executes various job-related duties as assigned